Taking Action – Data Privacy Best Practice
It is your duty to know what personal and protected information is, how to identify it and keep it safe, and what to do in the event of a disclosure or a security incident.
Data Privacy Best Practice
- Report breaches of data security via the appropriate channels. If you don’t know what the appropriate channels are, you can find out here.
- Use personal data/personally identifiable information (PII) only in a manner consistent with the purpose for which it is obtained.
- Store data only for as long as is necessary.
- Encrypt personal data/PII whenever it is stored.
- Remember that personal data/PII should only be used and stored in a controlled environment. Taking such data off-premises should be avoided.
- Be aware that failure to protect personal data/PII can result in significant fines and reputational damage.
Before You Go!
- I understand what data privacy is and why it’s important.
- I understand how to protect personal information across its entire lifecycle.
- I understand how to avoid breaches of data through the cloud.
- I understand that there are problems in transferring data from and to other countries and this may not be allowed.
- I understand how and when to seek support or escalate my concerns about data privacy.
- I will actively and diligently apply my understanding.
This content is an extract from the data privacy training course